Monday, March 26, 2007

Escape with me....

#14 The Golden Compass, by Philip Pullman
Finished 3/25/07
Rating: 4/5
Total Pages: 399
Reason for Reading: b-a-w ATF list, Once Upon a Time Challenge
REVIEW: A delightful romp through a magical place, where every human has a daemon, polar bears wear armour, where children are good and adults are evil (most of them anyways *snicker*), and a mysterious city is perched precariously on the aurora borealis. Wonderfully entertaining and pure escapism at its best. Couldn’t ask for something better to re-ignite one’s boring academic brain.

* * * * *

Journal articles and library books couldn't hold a candle to this book that's been languishing on my TBR stack for far too long. Now let me see.... shall I read about kinship terminology of the Nuer people of colonial Africa, or shall I read about a balloon ride to the north and witches flying alongside and a magical compass with 36 settings, and a marvellously precocious child who knows how to use it to tell the future??

Yeah....Twist my arm. :-P

Fantasy books have drawn me ever since a teenager. There's something about drifting away into a magic world where wizards and princesses and dragons and unicorns still exist that feeds my soul in a way that high-brow "literary fiction" never will. Don't get me wrong -- I love stretching my brain around a Dickens or a Murdoch or an Atwood or a Marquez or a Coelho. Great sci-fi turns my crank, too, like Herbert, Heinlein, and Wells. But REALLY good fantasy is truly what floats my boat. Problem is where to find it these days.

To be honest, I walked away from the genre for a few years because it seemed like everything I picked up wasn't worth the effort. But, thanks to a building network of book recommenders (you know who you are)....I'm finding new authors that take me away -- Pullman has just been added to that list.

Today is Monday.... the start of a new week.... and the need to get back to schoolwork is pressing. I'm determined to get a LOT of work done this week.... My goal is to finish one essay and make a SERIOUS dent in another.

Now reading: Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix (Rowling)
Listening to: Takin' It to the Streets (Doobie Brothers)

8 comments:

Bookfool said...

I haven't gotten around to reading any of the Pullman books. You're tempting me, Donna. Now, cut that out! Looks like you just created this blog. Welcome to the blogging world, if that's the case! :)

CdnReader said...

Hehehe.... It's real good, Nancy. Read it. You know you wanna. This is my third try at blogging. Maybe it'll stick this time?? :P

Bookfool said...

I think I actually have a copy, somewhere, but I'll have to *find* it! LOL

Bookfoolery was my third attempt, also. The first blog didn't have enough features (I can't bear not adding pictures/photos) and the second was too sluggish. I hope you keep it up; blogging is a great way to meet up with other bibliophiles, get thoughts off your chest, find great book recommendations (too many, actually). I love it. :)

Anonymous said...

Armoured bears is one of the reasons I love this book too. Can't help but love armoured bears.

I think it's almost time for a re-read...

Kailana said...

For some reason I am not a big fan of Pullman. I liked the first book well enough, but not enough to rush out and read book 2 and 3. I might have to pull them out before the movie comes out.

CdnReader said...

Kailana, I frequently lose interest after Book 1 too.... I think series and sequels are a LOT of work if you want to hold the attention of the reader. I likely won't get to the rest of the Pullman series anytime soon (so many books, so little time), but I will try Book 2.... eventually.... *grin*

Ana S. said...

This is my all-time favourite fantasy series, and I'm glad to see you enjoyed this book. And in this case in particular, the sequels are even better and very much worth reading!

CdnReader said...

Ooooo.... cool! Thanks, Nymeth! :)