Saturday, August 18, 2007

Overcoming Fear

#42 - Call It Courage, by Armstrong Sperry
Finished 8/17/07
Rating: 5/5
Total Pages: 116
Reason for Reading: Newbery Challenge
REVIEW: A delightful adventure, and a most deserving winner of the Newbery Award. Ten-year-old Mafatu, a boy from a Polynesian Island tribe, doesn’t seem to measure up to the standards set for being a “man” in his tribe. Most troublesome at all is his fear of the water. How can he grow up to be a powerful, confident, courageous chief if he is afraid to paddle out to sea and go fishing with the other boys? A wonderful tale of overcoming challenges and reaching through barriers to achieve your goals. Every child could benefit from this inspiring read.

2 comments:

Robin said...

I love this book. It was one of my favorites growing up...I remember my Dad reading it to me the first time. You're right...it's a very powerful learning experience for kids in the classroom, too.

CdnReader said...

Hi Robin. This was my first time with Call It Courage. It's a small book, and I kinda zipped through it, but I can easily imagine a room full of enthralled ... hmmm.... third-graders (?). I think this must be a truly great read-aloud story. :)