Tuesday, July 03, 2007

What the heck was that???

#36 - Flaubert’s Parrot, by Julian Barnes
Finished 7/3/07
Rating: 3/5
Total Pages: 190
Reason for Reading: Recommended by a friend / Booker Prize shortlist 1984
REVIEW: A postmodernist novel that mostly pretends to be a biography of Gustave Flaubert and the documentation of the search for an identity-challenged stuffed parrot (yes, you read that right...*smirk*), but it occasionally slips into seemingly unwitting descriptions of the narrator’s own confused psychology and search for personal meaning in the midst of apparent chaos. Which is the true story? What is the real purpose of the book? I can’t answer that. I found the book odd and intriguing, but ultimately unexplainable.

Listening to: The Cradlesong (Sacred Spirit), on iTunes SKY.FM - New Age.
Thrilled with: Amazon.co.uk and my mailman, whose combined efforts made me smile. Tossed through my mailslot today....three films (Crash, Little Children, Rabbit-Proof Fence) and one book (The Lathe of Heaven, by Ursula K. LeGuin). YAY!

2 comments:

Andi said...

I haven't read any Barnes, but I've meant to get 'round to England, England (I think that was the title) since I was supposed to read it for a Brit. Lit survey that I ultimately dropped.

Maybe someday.

CdnReader said...

I've got Arthur & George next up on my TBR stack. It was a complete weirdness that I ended up with two Barnes books in a row... Ah well...the universe must have a reason. *hehehe*