Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Is the Spell Broken?

#15 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, by J.K. Rowling
Finished 4/10/07
Rating: 3/5
Total Pages: 956
Reason for Reading: b-a-w ATF list, Once Upon a Time Challenge
REVIEW: Let me start this review with two big and very important words: TOO LONG! Almost 1000 pages, and in my opinion, about 500 pages too long. It seems clear to me that Rowling is no longer subject to the editing that would allow her writing to shine. Obviously, this is intended for a younger audience, and, like many others, I enjoy a good YA book from time to time. And many of them translate well to more mature readers. But with this fifth Harry Potter adventure, I lost patience with the continuing litany of activities and events that did little or nothing to advance the plot. By the time I got to the big crescendo, I was so deflated and tired of reading the book that it lost almost all impact. I highly doubt that I will continue with this series.

* * * * *

I think it's a real shame that I didn't enjoy this book more. I really wanted to!! The Harry Potter phenomenon is somewhat reminiscent of the Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys books of my youth. Everyone read them, everyone loved them, everyone collected them. But HP has taken the experience of YA literature to the ultimate, in this modern world of rampant consumerism -- with all sorts of accompanying merchandise and movies.

There is no doubt that J.K. Rowling is a very talented author that knows how to appeal to her target audience. I have a very clear memory of driving across Canada on vacation, with my youngest son happily curled up in the back seat with #2 and #3 in the series....immersed in the world of Hogwarts for day after day and thousands upon thousands of miles. But I don't think I can get through two more thousand-pagers. Shame that.

Listening to: Eve (Chantal Kreviazuk)
Watching: A Fish Called Wanda

6 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Glad you have the courage to stand up and point out the editing issue. It is unfortunate that some authors get so big that people are afraid to edit them. Sorry you didn't enjoy the book more. Hopefully the next one will be better for you.

CdnReader said...

I remember the days, Carl, when people avoided War & Peace like the plague just because it was 1000 pages long. Today's novels are getting as bad as today's movies....they just keep getting longer and longer and longer. Where will it end?

Next up for me is Anansi Boys. I doubt that will disappoint. ;)

Bookfool said...

I think I read two before I quit, but I can't actually remember. It baffled me that her books kept getting longer and longer. You think it's because they felt no need to edit, eh? I think that's likely and kind of sad.

Oh, boy, Neil Gaiman next! Can't wait to see what you think of it. I'm new to Gaiman.

Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction when I first read this Harry Potter... Too long! But I've recently listened to the whole series on CDs, and this time I loved this book! She definitely gave herself the luxury of being absolutely complete with every detail in the story, but I really enjoyed it this time.

CdnReader said...

Nancy, I suspect they *do* know that Rowling needs editing, but how do you tell the most famous author in the world that her work isn't up to snuff?? Well... you just don't.... :)

Robin, I'm always envious of those who manage to listen to audiobooks. I've never mastered that skill. My mind is very ill-trained in such things, and simply wanders off to think of many other things.... There's just something, for me, about needing a BOOK in my hand. *grin*

Melissa said...

Three things: 1) Book six is amazing. Don't give up now. 2) I know it was long -- I think a review by Stephen King said if she cut out all the adverbs/adjectives after so-and-so said (i.e., "Harry said despairingly"), she'd have cut at least 100 pages -- but don't put too much on her editors. What, really, could you have effectively cut and still have it tell the story Rowling wanted to tell? and 3) Didn't you just love to hate Umbridge? Even a little bit?

Makes me sort of worried for the movie.