Sunday, April 22, 2007

Gotta Lime?

#18 - Anansi Boys, by Neil Gaiman
Finished 4/21/07
Rating: 4/5
Total Pages: 451
Reason for Reading: Once Upon a Time Challenge
REVIEW: Okay, I just have to say this -- Neil Gaiman is too fun for words. *grin* Anansi Boys is quite simply the funnest book I’ve read since I don’t know when. You know you’re into the pages of something truly wonderful when the book makes you laugh out loud – as you read – all alone -- in your third-floor dusty garret. I’m sure my flatmate thinks I’ve quite lost my mind. Suffice it to say that Gaiman really knows how to spin a great story, or in this case maybe I should say "web." Anansi Boys walks a very fine line between horrors too horrible to contemplate and a comic irreverence that has you gasping and giggling in turns. Mr. Gaiman, you have a very twisted sense of humour….and I love it. After American Gods, and now this – yes, I am definitely a certifiable Gaiman-aholic.

* * * * *

Anansi Boys is what a really good read is all about. It's the kind of book that should be read in a huge overstuffed extra comfy armchair with a pitcher of something wet & wonderful and a big bowl of popcorn at your elbow. And don't plan to get up for a good long while, because Gaiman knows how to keep you turning the pages. Don't worry.... Neil won't mind if you get the pages mucky with spilled lemonade, salt, and buttery fingerprints. He just wants to know that you had a good time. And I did. I did indeed.

There were lots of favourite quotes and passages throughout, but my favouritest favourite line didn't appear until the very last page of the novel:
“Mermaids sigh better than anyone.” [p. 451]
I think I must be a mermaid. Ask my friend J who once called my sighs "patentable."

And....here's another sign of a really good writer....My second favourite quote comes from the Gaiman interview tucked into the back of the book:
“I think all geniuses – or the ones that I’ve run into – tend to have a faintly tenuous relationship with the real world, because so much is going on on the inside. They may be geniuses but they often need someone to walk around holding the string. They’re sort of balloons, bobbing around.”

*sigh*......(((grin)))

Listening to: Angel Eyes (Abba), on iTunes radioio70spop.
Buried under: Scads and scads and scads of foolscap and anthropology books, all (thankfully) interspersed with a scattered collection of Pilot Hi-Tecpoint V5's [extra fine] in an array of lovely colours....I may not surface for awhile.

13 comments:

Ana S. said...

I'm glad to hear you liked it. It really is a fun book.

Anonymous said...

Great review, I think you pretty much summed it up! Anansi Boys really is an enormously fun read.

Hooray for Neil Gaiman!

chrisa511 said...

I loved this book as well. The whole thing with the lime just had me laughing non-stop. Gaiman's great!

CdnReader said...

Thanks for your comments, all. Any recommendations on which Gaiman I should read next? :P

Chris, the lime was a HOOT. And I quite liked the green fedora too. *grins*

chrisa511 said...

If you want something with more of a similar feel, I'd go with Neverwhere. Another amazing book of his.

If on the other hand you want a beautiful and fun fairy tale, you can't go wrong with Stardust.

And then there's Coraline for a young adult horror story.

Booklogged said...

Wow, I didn't realize this was such a fun book. I like Gaiman, so I'm going to add this one to my TBR list. Good review, CdnReader.

Fence said...

Have you read American Gods? It is set in the same general 'verse but is quite different. Much more serious and dark, but still great.

CdnReader said...

Hi, Fence. Yes, I read AG last winter, which was the reason I decided to pick up Anansi Boys for this challenge...cuz I enjoyed AG so much.

Chris, thanks for the recommendation of Neverwhere....I've added it to my Amazon wishlist.

Booklogged, yes yes yes....this book is THAT good. Read it soonest! :)

Carl V. Anderson said...

Great review of a wonderful book! So glad you liked it and am even more thrilled that you've joined the ranks of Gaiman-o-philes! I do all I can to make converts and am always excited to see someone else get turned on to his work. I would suggest Neverwhere next and Stardust if you haven't read them. They are both very different from AG and AB, but are wonderful books.

Petunia said...

I'm reading Stardust right now, my first Gaiman and I can see why everyone loves him so much. I've added all the other Gaiman works to my TBR list.

Marina said...

*sigh*

I was bad a few weeks ago and bought this one at the grocery store. I know I won;t get to read it anytime soon, but at least I won't have to dig for it when I'm ready.

chittavrtti said...

Have you seen Gaiman in person, or better yet heard him read? He is one of those authors who writes as he reads: a truly wonderful experience to listen to***CV

CdnReader said...

Carl, thanks for stopping in with your NG recommendations. Guess I better put Stardust on the wish list too.... ;)

Petunia, I shall certainly look forward to your review of Stardust. So glad you're enjoying it!

Marina, despite the size AB is a really quick read. You might wanna move it up closer to the top of your stack. :)

CV....No, I've never had the pleasure of hearing NG read, but I will certainly jump at the chance should it ever arrive!

Thanks to all of you for visiting my blog!