Monday, May 07, 2007

A Deliciously Wicked Fairy Tale

#23 - Fairy Tale, by Alice Thomas Ellis
Finished 5/5/07
Rating: 5/5
Total Pages: 213
Reason for Reading: Recommended by a friend
REVIEW: Incredibly fun book, and just slightly creepy. *smile* A young couple moves to the Welsh countryside, and very strange occurrences ensue. Well written, clever, funny, and…. yeah…. just a little creepy. A quick and enjoyable read. Highly recommended.

* * * * *

There is no way to review this book without giving away bits of the plot, so I will say no more about the story itself. Just trust me. Read it. You'll love it.

Now....as to the reason I read it: My landlady handed it to me when she heard about my plan to head off to Wales for seven days at the seaside (four weeks from today....the countdown has begun). I've booked a "room with a view" in a quaint bed & breakfast, just steps from the beach. I am so looking forward to celebrating the completion of exams and the end of my school year at the LSE. I plan on doing plenty of reading, lots of writing, and having no decisions more difficult than whether to walk north or south on the beach this morning, and what wine to have with dinner. And oh yes....sleep. I'll be doing LOTS of sleeping.

I do hope I don't run into any strange men. 'Nuff said. (Eeek!)

Fairy Tale is full of wonderful strings of words. This is one of my favourites: "The days went by like carelessly turned pages, so that she seemed to have missed whole passages, and sometimes felt that she must have turned two pages without noticing." [p. 103]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds intriguing! Having just bought a house in the Welsh countryside, I think I should add this one to my list!

CdnReader said...

Wow! A house in Wales! Lucky you!! Now if you go walking in the woods and run into four men.... my advice is .... run like hell. *grins*