Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A Journey Back to the '60s

#41 - Norwegian Wood, by Haruki Murakami
Finished 8/14/07
Rating: 5/5
Total Pages: 386
Reason for Reading: Recommended by a friend
REVIEW: I cannot clearly describe why I loved this book SO much, but I certainly did. The writing is simple and beautiful, the story is well-crafted and intriguing, the pages flew by, and the last half of the very last page blew me away, and made me want to turn back to page 1 and start all over again. It's about love and loyalty, about sex and death and insanity and reality, and about the world of college students in 1960s Tokyo. Poignant and lovely from beginning to end. I was transfixed.

FAVOURITE QUOTE: "It seemed as if the colours of the real world around me had begun to drain away from my having done nothing more than read a few lines she had written." [p. 110]

Listening to: All Right Now (Free) on iTunes Angel Fire Radio's Classic Rock&Roll.FM.
Quietly celebrating: Receipt of some VERY ENCOURAGING emails from various and sundry grad schools. Watch this space. More later. *grin*

2 comments:

tanabata said...

This was my first Murakami a few years ago and at the time I liked it but didn't love it. It wasn't until his third book that I got into his style and started to really enjoy his books. I really should read this one again someday to see what I think of it now.
'Very encouraging emails' are always nice! :)

CdnReader said...

I just can't figure out why I'm making such a big deal about NW, Nat. In retrospect, it doesn't seem like there was anything to get so hepped up about. But I was, and I still am. I can't explain. Weird, huh? I will definitely read more Murakami. But my TBR is already teetering, and my workload is growing, so I'm not sure when.... I'm waiting for a few more emails and then I'll post about it, all in one swell foop. :)