Monday, May 07, 2007

A Modern-Day Myth Cloaked in a Classic Tale

#24 - The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde
Finished 5/6/07
Rating: 5/5
Total Pages: 839 (Palm Pilot)
Reason for Reading: 18th/19th Century Novel
REVIEW: We all know the story of Dorian Gray, but going back to the original novel was a true delight. Oscar Wilde is simply brilliant, and this depiction of a self-involved young man who uncovers the depths of how awful he can be is both mesmerizing and thoughtful. Wilde’s sardonic wit comes out most effectively through the character of Lord Henry, who delivers a scathing (and hilarious) commentary of London society in the late 19th century, along with a decidedly bleak opinion of all humanity.

* * * * *

W A R N I N G - - - S P O I L E R S

The story of Dorian Gray raises all kinds of interesting thoughts about the nature of evil in humankind. As I watched Dorian deteriorate into a most cruel and twisted human being, I wondered about what would happen to men who experienced no consequences of their actions. In Dorian's case, it wasn't only the aging process but also the blackness of his heart that was subsequently reflected in the painting. As the story progresses, Dorian becomes even more depraved. Yet it was less about lack of consequences and more about the pain inflicted on him by the knowledge of what was happening to the painting. In the end, I believe it was his need to be released from this inhuman destiny that drove his final actions.

The following quote is just one of the myriad of gems delivered by the ultimately pessimistic Lord Henry, whose opinions I loved to hate throughout the book....

“Why, my dear Basil, he is a Narcissus, and you – well, of course you have an intellectual expression and all that. But beauty, real beauty, ends where an intellectual expression begins. Intellect is in itself a mode of exaggeration, and destroys the harmony of any face. The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don’t think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful.” [p. 38]

The Picture of Dorian Gray
completes my goal for the Once Upon a Time Challenge. I believe this fits nicely into the "myths and legends" category, even if it's a slightly different choice than might be expected. However, there's no doubt that a painting that ages and a man that doesn't MUST fit into the category of fantasy somehow. *grins*

These last two books -- Fairy Tale and this one -- weren't on my original list but simply fell into my lap and begged to be substitutes. How could I refuse? So I took a "study-break" weekend, and curled up and read. I'm delighted that the last two books for the challenge both rated perfect 5's on my list.

4 comments:

Ana S. said...

It would never have crossed my mind to pick this book for the challenge, but now that I think of it, it qualifies beautifully!

It's been far too many years since I last read it. I need to pick it up again one of these days. Great review!

CdnReader said...

Thanks, Nymeth. I didn't pick Dorian Gray....it rather picked me. It wasn't till I was halfway through that I realized it was a good choice for the challenge. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on completing your challenge goal! I'm about halfway there, I think.

Dorian Gray is a fantastic book. I'm going to revisit it for Carl's RIP challenge later this year.

CdnReader said...

Thanks, Q. I'm delighted that I completed so quickly. I'm keeping my eyes open for a new challenge to join, but with exams looming, I think I'll just lay low for awhile.