Sunday, September 02, 2007

Poe Short Story #1: The Domain of Arnheim

Actually more in the nature of an essay than a story, I thought. Beautifully written. Puts forth the premise that what we create artistically -- whether paintings, or poetry, or music, or even gardens -- is in fact more beautiful and more perfect than nature itself. The latter third or so of the story is a description of a fantasy landscape created by the main character, who inherited 450 million pounds and this is how he decides to spend it. Certainly not a Poe story of darkness and murder and things-that-go-bump-in-the-night, as we might expect, but I quite enjoyed it regardless.

A passage worth thinking about: "He admitted but four elementary principles, or more strictly, conditions of bliss. That which he considered chief was (strange to say!) the simple and purely physical one of free exercise in the open air. "The health," he said, "attainable by other means is scarcely worth the name." He instanced the ecstasies of the fox-hunter, and pointed to the tillers of the earth, the only people who, as a class, can be fairly considered happier than others. His second condition was the love of woman. His third, and most difficult of realization, was the contempt of ambition. His fourth was an object of unceasing pursuit; and he held that, other things being equal, the extent of attainable happiness was in proportion to the spirituality of this object."

Read on-line at The Literature Network.

8 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Sounds wonderful! This is a Poe story I haven't read so I am very excited to hear about it. I have numerous complete collections and when I get to some Poe stories this challenge I will definitely have to check this one out.

CdnReader said...

Believe it or not, Carl, I haven't read Poe before. I know, I know.... How is this possible?? Hehehe.... Anyways, I very much enjoyed this first try, and I'm now looking forward to next Sunday! :)

Marina said...

Definitely not standard Poe... I'm intrigued.

CdnReader said...

Marina, I agree. It wasn't at all what I expected. I've reviewed several other short stories since moving my blog. I hope you'll stop in over at my new place at http://betweenplace.wordpress.com. :)

Bookfool said...

I love Poe's writing, but I guess I've missed this one. It sounds really interesting. Thanks, Donna!

CdnReader said...

Arnheim was an unusual story, and very very good. Quite philosophical. :)

Anonymous said...

I remember reading this. I like poe anythime!

CdnReader said...

I'm really enjoying my Poe reads, GT. Thanks for stopping by! :)