Thursday, May 03, 2007

An Evening Walk


Sometimes I forget that I live in England.

The past seven months have gone by in a blur of books, essays, train rides, libraries, tutor appointments, classes, lectures, deadlines, clock-watching, and all of the mental activity that goes with getting used to living a whole new life.


The weather has been glorious this week. In the midst of my tight study schedule, I escaped for a short walk up the hill to enjoy the sunshine and the evening air. This is when it hits me with a jolt that I am actually, truly living in England. Looking around, breathing, drinking in the difference in the landscape, architecture, vegetation.

The photo above shows the houses on my street. Mine is down the hill just a bit further. Yup... it looks exactly the same as these. London suburbs tend to be very symmetrical. Symmetry pleases me. :) And why are the leaves red in the springtime? Who knows? The only thing I know for sure is that it's different and interesting....and I really do live in England.

3 comments:

tanabata said...

I loved all the row houses too. And all the great architecture. It's why we love Europe so! Our flat in London was in an old church, and then in Cambridge we lived in a terraced town house. So English! :P

Andi said...

Yayyy for England!! What beautiful pictures.

CdnReader said...

Nat and Andi.... Thanks for stopping by. There's something incredibly geometrical about England, and I truly do love it.