Sunday, April 15, 2007

As You Sleep

I love to watch you sleep....

All the worries and all the anxieties
washed away by the drifting sands of sleep.
You have entered a place of peace
where no other can follow.

I gently touch your cheek
with the back of my hand
.....soft soft
so as not to awaken
but only to love you
as you sleep.

Do you dream now?
Of what do you dream?
Of faraway worlds where life is everything
you ever dreamt it could be?

I watch your chest rise and fall
with deeply serene breaths,
and I place my hand there
to feel your life
as you sleep.

DLD/15APR07

4 comments:

Bellezza said...

What a beautiful poem! It may have been meant for a lover, but it made me think of watching my son sleep when he was a small child. There was something so spectacular about it...which is captured in this poem for me.

CdnReader said...

Thank you so much, Bellezza. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I agree with Bellezza...you've captured something beautifully universal, whether lover or mom, in this poem.

CdnReader said...

Okay, now I'm really grinning!! :) Thanks so much, Robin.