Saturday, April 14, 2007

For the Love of Trees

Everywhere I go I take photos of trees. This one was taken last February in a park in Coventry. I love the green bark and the bare branches.

Once when I found myself in a real emotional funk, a very good friend gave me this guidance: Get thee out amongst the trees. Walk in the woods. Wander through a forest. Find a leaf that wants to come home with you. This is advice that I have used over and over again, with amazingly calming results. (Many thanks, H.)

Now, anytime that I’m feeling glum or confused or uncertain or lonely, I head out somewhere where there are trees….surround myself with their beauty and life and wisdom. Sometimes there will be a leaf…. often on the ground, but sometimes still clinging to a branch, that calls to me. And just as I was guided by H, I bring that leaf home with me as a symbol of all that is right with the universe. Being amongst the trees in the first place, and contemplating the chosen leaf in the second, helps me to straighten out my brain, encourages me to quit focusing on myself, and gets me back to a place where I can see the big picture again.

So, yes.... I have a large collection of photos of trees, and a special connection with trees and leaves that most people don't understand.

(Today's tree thoughts brought to you by inspiration from Carl's blog .... and the beautiful tree art posted there today.)

Listening to: Calling All the Dreamers (Nigel Nisbet), on iTunes Power3201.
Getting ready for: An afternoon of country exploring....YAY! TREES!! *grin*

2 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Oh my! Those trees are amazing! There is something a bit melancholy about the green of the bark. Love em'! Thanks for posting those pics. I'm thrilled you understand what I was getting at with my tree talk yesterday.

CdnReader said...

For me, Carl, I see the green bark as incredibly delicate and lovely. Green for me is a life-giving colour. Many of the trees in England have green bark....My assumption is that it has something to do with a moisture-laden climate, but I could be wrong. I have been wrong before. A couple times. At least. :P