Friday, April 13, 2007

A Place of Enchantment

As I wander aimlessly
through this green and wondrous land....
I come upon a forest glade.
A long, low wooden table stretches
as far as the eye can see....
and further.

Elves, fairies and other magical creatures scurry about...
sometimes only glimpsed from the corner of my eye
(because some do not like to be seen by mere humans, you see)
refilling enormous golden platters,
pouring a silvery stream of glittering liquid into sparkling crystal chalices,
brushing crumbs from the velvet cushions,
straightening the silverware,
touching up the bouquets of
....creamy white lilies
....deep red roses
....and daisies

Who has placed this magnificent feast here?

As I draw nearer...
a small one runs forward with an eager smile....
She takes my hand gently
with a delicate touch that speaks of
….silken softness
….quiet tranquillity
….eons of remembrance
and leads me forward wordlessly.
Her iridescent wingtips
brush my bare arms softly,
unobtrusively.

“Come,” she whispers shyly,
in a voice that sounds like wind chimes,
and indicates an empty space.

In amazement,
I gather my legs under me,
and lower myself onto the sapphire velvet cushion,
not yet knowing what is expected of me
in this place of enchantment.

There are others all around,
and plates are passed.
It is only then that I realize
that the feast presented here
offers not food for the body,
but for the spirit.

The platters are heaped with…
Genuineness
Tenderness
Generosity
Patience
Wonder
Delight
Love

All are offered in silence.
All are offered in unlimited quantities.
There is nothing you cannot have.

Will you join me in the forest?

DLD/13APR07

No comments: